Monday 27 September 2010

The Moneyless Man - Mark Boyle

When I told a friend that I was reading a book about a man who lived for a year without money her reaction was a common one,

'oh, so he's freeloading off others then'

But he didn't, and as far as I know still doesn't.

I can't say I agree with all Mark Boyle's ideas about society and money, but a lot of what he writes certainly struck a cord with me.  He fully admits that moneyless living wouldn't work if everyone tried it, and that he has to be realistic and deal with the world he lives in now and not some idealised world where everything is freely given.

Nor does he survive much on bartering which he sees as close to being a form of money.

So he was given a caravan to live in on a piece of land given by a local organic farm where he volunteers.  He grows his own food, forages or bin raids, gets what little power he needs for charging his mobile phone (in coming calls only) and laptop (for publicising the project on a blog and running a freeconomy website) from solar panels, uses a wood burner made from old oil tins for cooking (or eats raw food - he's vegan), showers with water from the river, and cycles or hitches everywhere.

The only things he does barter for are food items that can't be grown or found - but that's rare.

The year obviously isn't easy, but it is interesting to read about, to understand his ideas and motives, and to see how he managed.

I finished the book determined to try to use less and recycle more (although I'm sure I do pretty well already).

The book style is very blog like, even though its not set out as such.  Informal and engaging to read but manages to inform at the same time.

At the end he pledges to continue, with all proceeds from the book going into a trust in order to purchase a piece of land to establish a freeconomy community.

I have my doubts it will work, we live in a world so ruled by money, rules and regulations, and I'm afraid I have a rather jaundiced view of the human race (we are probably beyond saving).

The book ends with a list of relevant web addresses, and I've already signed up on facebook to follow his journey onwards, and I really want to go on a foraging course.

Bought with leaving present Amazon gift voucher from Age Concern Stockport.

- 27th September 2010  

No comments:

Post a Comment