Friday 10 September 2010

The Secret River - Kate Grenville

It's the early 19th century, and even a minor crime can see you sent to the gallows, or if you are lucky transported around the world to Australia - often as good as being dead.

Will and Sal Thornhill find themselves far from London struggling to come to terms with the strangeness of the land and the difficulties of dealing with their change in circumstances.

My neighbour mentioned in passing that he was reading this book, and when I next looked on my book shelves I found I already owned a copy; on Ian's recommendation I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did.

The descriptions of working on the Thames are fascinating, but the strangeness that Will and Sal encounter in Sydney is so well described.  Striking out on their own piece of land around the coast, the Thornhills must come to terms with the fact that they are surrounded by convicts (who have done much worse than Will ever did) and the 'blacks' (- remember when this is set).

I like the even-handedness of the book - neither the settlers or the aborigines are made out as the villains, both are as guilty or innocent as each other.  I found myself with a sympathies for both, both were victims of a situation not of their making.

I knew this would be a sad read, and to be honest knowing a little history of the way European's marched around the world taking whatever they pleased, I knew that there would be trouble - although this is obviously a novel, I'm sure that the story was played out many times across many continents, and it makes me ashamed of what our ancestors did (even if they perhaps didn't understand their actions).

Not a taxing read, but very 'enjoyable', well written and with engaging characters.  I'd like to say that it would make an interesting film, but to be honest I'd say the story lacks enough substance for that - but still a good read and one that I would recommend.  I might even go and have a look at the author's other books.

Picked up in ACS Pop In
21st August - 4th September 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment