Wednesday 29 September 2010

The boy in the striped pyjamas - John Boyne

What can I say about this book?  It's short, simply written (the narrator is a nine year old boy), and it totally brew me away.  I'd got to within 20 pages of the end, and even though it was very late and I'd worked out where the story was going, I couldn't put it down.

One of the things I loved most was the way it was written, the voice of Bruno.  Such as the description of his Dad's office, which was 'Out Of Bounds At All Times With No Exceptions' and of his sister, who although older than him was a 'Hopeless Case'.

Set in Germany and then Poland during the second world war the story is of Bruno's family move to a new house, and his friendship with a boy who wears striped pyjamas, even in the day.

I'm not going to tell you anymore, you'll have to read it.  There is a film adaptation, which I believe is very good - it's certainly on my list of films to see, I just hope they've done it justice.

Many of my friends have said that it made them cry, but strangely enough I didn't find it sad in that way.

Bought at the HARC bookstall in Nether Edge Market.
27th - 29th September 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment