Thursday 15 July 2010

The suspicions of Mr Whicher, or the Murder at Road Hill House - Kate Summerscale

As is often the case on holiday, I'd not taken enough books with me, so was looking around for something intelligent to read (eg. not a chick lit or detective pulp novel); when I noticed in the communal area of the resort this book.

I'd picked it up in bookshops in the past and it was on my Green Metropolis wishlist.  But it's certainly not what I'd expected it to be.  I'd thought it was a crime novel set in a country house in the 19th century a bit like Agatha Christie novels - and so it was, but not a novel.

The book is a true account of the murder of Saville Kent, a four year old boy in his family home; Summerscale uses court records, newspaper articles, police statements and other documents to tell the story of first the family, then the murder, the subsequent investigation, and then the after affect of the events on all those involved.

The Mr Whicher of the title was a celebrated detective who worked on the case (and many other famouse ones).

The book is fascinating in it's detail of 1860s life in rural Somerset, in police procedures of the time, and as a window on the lives of the middle classes - in particular the deferance and misguided respect afforded to them by the authorities (police and government).

Contemporary writers and other celebrated case are mentioned throughout - I will certainly be following up some of the leads!

'borrowed' from the activity room at Hylatio Tourist Village, Pissouri, Cyprus.
14-15 July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment