Friday 16 July 2010

Look back in hunger - Jo Brand

The cover of this book has a quote from a newspaper I've always had my doubts about - and that should have been a warning, but I like the author and so bought it anyway.

'Moving and very funny' - The Times

I found myself wondering if the reviewer had read a different book, or if the publishers had cherry picked the words and what the critic had actually said was something along the lines of;

'Give Brand's comic talents this book could have been moving and very funny, but instead it was neither'
Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy reading this, but at the end I was left feeling I wanted to know so much more, in fact I'm left feeling cheated and as if either Brand wrote the book just to make money, or because she was asked - certainly I felt not because she wanted to!

Very little is said about her family, nothing about her husband and/or children, and nothing at all about her friends and/or relationships except those long in the past.  The title seems just to play on the fact that Brand is what is known as a 'big girl' - but no discussion of this either really.

At one point Brand points out that she's actually very shy - and it certainly shows in this book; I feel cheated and left wondering how someone so obviously comically talented can write such a dull book - what a missed opportunity and a shame.

16th July 2010
Bought on Green Metropolis (and left in Cyprus!)

No comments:

Post a Comment