Thursday 15 July 2010

Burning Bright - Tracy Chevalier

It's a long time since I read a whole book in a day, but being on holiday with little else to do I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

As with the last book I read, I'd picked this one up at the resort and having enjoyed her book 'The girl with the pearl earring' thought I'd give this a try and I'm glad I did.

Although a totally fictional story, the way Chevalier writes of the past you know that historically it's accurate - and therefore they are interesting from a historical perspective as well as as a story.

This book is mainly set in Lambert, London in 1792/3.  Telling the story of a family who move from rural Dorset and struggle to fit in with their new surroundings and the differences between town and country and the people who enhabit both.

It tells of the troubles, enemies and friends (including the writer William Blake and his wife), and their involvement with a local circus.

I'm pretty sure that I have some of Chevalier's other novels, and I'm certainly going to read them- I'd forgotten how enjoyable and easy to read her writing style is.

Very quickly I cared about the characters, wanting to know what happens to them - and the description of the other periods in history are fascinating.  Certainly a good holiday read.

'borrowed' from the activity room of the Hylatio Tourist Village, Pissouri, Cyprus.
15th July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment