Wednesday 3 March 2010

A week at the airport – Alain De Botton


Despite my dislike of the expansion of airports, and the over use of cheap travel, I had been looking forward to reading this little book.   Not least as Terminal 5 is very much part of my history, despite never having been there – back in 2002 I worked for a few summer months on the large archaeological site which was to become Terminal 5, but at the time was a very loud patch of mud that still smelled of the sewage treatment works which were there before.

I've always been fascinated by transport hubs, airports, railway stations, bus stations – they are the best possible place for one of my favourite past-times – people watching!  Nowhere else is so fantastic for spying on the comings and goings (literally) of the general public.

I imagine that part of the reason the author took up the offer of spending a week with unlimited access to the airport and it's travelers had something to do with this.

Asked by BAA to spend a whole week solely within the confines of the airport; staying in an airport hotel, eating in airport restaurants and wandering at will.  He was given a desk at which to work, but also passes to go airside and into non-public areas – I'm jealous!

Using the process as titles for each section; arrivals, departures, etc – De Botton gives an entertaining and enlightening glimpse into a world that never sleeps.  Facts and figures are kept to a minimum, it's the human stories behind the luggage, vending machines and duty free shops that fascinate.

In a way it seems very brave of BAA to allow him free reign on what he wrote, even granting him an interview with the chief executive, Willie Walsh – something that De Botton admits wasn't as interesting to him as meeting the staff and customers.

The book in no way makes me want to visit T5, but it does confirm my interest in people watching!

Bought on Green Met.

No comments:

Post a Comment