Sunday 14 March 2010

Alice's adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Unusually for me, I've actually read this book before - many years ago.  It's a short but enjoyable read, so I thought I'd sneak it into my reading before going to see the new Tim Burton film.

Despite the fact that this book was written in 1865 it really does stand the test of time - Wonderland is a place for any era.  I don't think I need to recount the story here - if you don't know it, you've been living in a hole for some time!  So many of the motifs and themes from the book have found their way into everyday life - the Cheshire Cat, Curiouser and Curiouser, Drink Me and of course the Red Queen.

I'll just to leave with one of my favourite poem/songs from the book -

Twinkle twinkle, little bat!
How I wonder what you're at!
Up above the world you fly,
Like a tea-tray in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle.....
If you've seen the film now read the book, if you haven't seen the film yet, read the book first (and yes I know that the film is a 'sequel' to the book, but it's always good to go back to the original).
If you are a fan of the tales of Alice I can also highly recommend, 'Automated Alice' by Jeff Noon, or 'The Looking Glass Wars' by Frank Beddor.  One book I'm very keen to get is 'Alice in Sunderland'.

10th - 13th March 2010
Bought secondhand in the National Trust Head Office Building (Heelis), Swindon!

No comments:

Post a Comment