Saturday 27 March 2010

A million little pieces - James Frey


Is this book a work of fiction? Or is it a true account of the recovery of a drug and alcohol addict?  Does it matter if it's true or not?

When Tamsin lent me this book I was vaguely aware of it, but didn't know that the writer had upset rather a lot of people - not least Oprah Winfrey.  It seems that the book was published as a 'memoir', but the author has subsequently admitted that whilst the majority of the content is true life, much of it was elaborated on for dramatic effect.
But does this matter? and does it take away from the quality of the writing and the story - NOT FOR ME.  

I really enjoyed this book, it was heart breaking in parts, brutal, and eye opening, the writing style is great and really suits the subject matter.  It follows the author through rehabilitation in a clinic; at the age of 23 he is, in his words, 'completely fucked up' - one more drink, or drug episode will probably kill him - his only option is to get clean.

What follows are some very graphic descriptions of detox, a retelling of some of the parts of his life that led him to where he found himself, and some stories of those he finds with him in treatment.

For me I think it quite possible that actually the backlash against this book might have been fuelled by the fact that it's uncomfortable reading for those who are trying to help those with addictions.  Frey completely rejects the 12 step program of Alcoholics Anonymous - but still manages to get clean.

If it's true it's an amazing story; if it's fiction it's still an amazing story - one that made me laugh, wince at the descriptions of pain and astounded me with moments of tenderness, it even made me cry at one point.

I've ordered the follow-up, I hope it's as good - and I don't care if it's true or not!

Given to me by Tamsin
14 - 27 March 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment