Thursday 24 December 2009

The Luck Factor - Richard Wiseman

This is the third Richard Wiseman book I've read this year, and I think I'm upto date with all his published work! But as popular psychology it's really enjoyable to read, and you feel like you are learning something as well.

The basic premise of the book is that everyone can be lucky - it's just a state of mind. Wiseman presents scientific studies to support his ideas about how we can be lucky.

He puts forward the idea that there are four principles to luck -

  1. Maximise your chance opportunities
  2. Listen to your lucky hunches
  3. Expect good fortune
  4. Turn your bad luck into good

Each one is explained with examples, and then in the next part of the book he gives practical ways of increasing your luck, in fact throughout the book you are encouraged to take part in tests and tasks.

I've always considered myself to be lucky, but I truly do think that some of the ideas in this book will help me increase my luck.

In fact it's already had an affect. Whilst sitting on a train to Manchester reading about 'maximising your chance opportunities' I looked up and noticed that the woman sat opposite me was familiar. More than familiar I realised that although I didn't know her personally I did know that she was an archaeology lecturer at a local university. Within minutes we were talking, and was telling her about my photography business, before we parted when I got off the train she asked me to email details of my website and she would forward them to all the staff in the department - result!!

The other main idea from the book that will stay with me is the notion of 'turning bad luck into good'. This is about perception, believing that what at first appears to be bad luck will probably turn out to be good luck. In my case this is things like being made redundant (both times have actually ended up being the best thing that ever happened!) and my parents dying so young and so close together (obviously terrible, but also had some very positive outcomes for me).

As with Richard Wiseman's other books I would certainly recommend this one - as you can see, I'm becoming a bit of a fan of his!

Bought on Green Metropolis
10th - 24th December 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment