Saturday 5 December 2009

Living dead in Dallas - Charlaine Harris

I said I'd give Sookie Stackhouse and her friends one more try, and this is the second book in the ever expanding True Blood franchise - but it is the last one I plan to read.

As with the first, I enjoyed it - but in a guilty, slightly dirty way. Afterwards I was left with the feeling that my brain needed some kind of disinfectant.

Having been introduced to Sookie the waitress and her boyfriend, Bill the Vampire, in the first book; the second gets down to business. That business is Sookie using her telepathic skills to help vampires solve crimes.

Flown to Dallas (on an airline that caters for vampires travelling in their coffins, and staying in a hotel which guarantees security in the daylight hours), the couple embark on a search for a vampire who seems to have been kidnapped by a bunch of raving loony religious nutters.

This book is just as badly written as the first, in fact if I'm honest it's probably worse. Try;

"Vampires won't go around in any Geo. Isabel waited until I'd buckled my seat belt (she and Bill didn't bother to use them) before pulling away from the curb, which surprised me."
Would that be that she was surprised that they didn't use seat belts, or (as it reads) that the car pulled away from the curb!?!

Anyway, with everyone (well, a couple of people) raving about the television series from HBO I've bought the box set of the first serious - at least the terrible writing won't be a problem (and hopefully they will have got a good script writer in!).

I'm now off to find something suitably intellectual to read - my brain deserves it!

Bought on Green Metropolis
4th - 5th December 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment