Friday 28 September 2012

Hunger Games trilogy

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

I saw the film of the first book a while ago, and whilst I would describe it as being aimed at teenagers, I did really enjoy it. So when a friend offered to lend me the books I thought 'why not', and anyway I've been ill and needed a distraction when I wasn't sleeping.

Also, I happen to very much enjoy dystopian novels - I know, I'm strange like that.

The first book was exactly the same as the film - in a future world (that was once America), annual Hunger Games are held, where from each district male and female teenagers are placed as 'tribunes' in a giant outdoor arena to fight until the last one standing - the victor (who is showered with wealth, fame and a way out of the poor and brutal lives they lead).

There can be only one winner - and so things can get very nasty, as all citizens are almost forced to watch the action live on TV.

The story in all three books centres round Katniss and Peeta from district 12, one of the poorest districts, their struggles to survive and their time in the games, and afterwards.......

I'm not gong to give any of the plot away, but suffice to say that these books are actually very well written, the plot lines are engaging and fast paced. The characters are engaging and I really did come to care what happened.

The worlds with the arena are fascinating and well conceived, I look forward to seeing the film adaptations of the next two books.

Although I was ill and therefore had extra time, I still think I would have found it hard to put these books down (I read the first in 36 hours, the second in about 8 hrs and the third in 24 hours), I hope there will be more - but if there isn't that's fine as all the loose ends were tidied and plots completed well - I certainly didn't feel I wanted for anymore, or either that the author had run out of things to say.

So, these books aren't high literature, or aiming to be anything spectacular, but they are highly enjoyable and well worth reading.

(on thinking about it my only criticism would be the 'America' centric view point - whilst everything is going on you get the impression that there is no world beyond Panem (once America), but then to many Americans that's the case I guess!)

Borrowed from Jamie
Read during September 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment