Wednesday 17 November 2010

The Survivors Club - Ben Sherwood

I didn't pick this book up because it is a New York Times bestseller, or because I thought it would help me survive a crisis or disaster; I picked it up as it looked interesting - and it is.

The basic premise of the books is that everyone has the potential to be a survivor. A survivor of accidents, disaster, serious illness, bereavement, stress and life in general, it's not about what you know, how fit you are or knowing how to survive in a jungle with a single match; it's more about attitude and being prepared.

The author looks at situations and exceptional circumstances and how people have survived, and what we can learn from these experiences.

How to better your odds at surviving a plane crash, how to survive a trip to casualty, and what makes someone a survivor. Looking at victims of crime, survivors of accidents and wars; we learn the simple little things that we can teach ourselves about surviving.

The second half of the book is linked to a website where you can take a multi-question test to find out your own survivor profile. I'm not sure about that, when I did the test I'm not sure I agree with the result. But it's still fascinating nonetheless.

I've learnt some important facts and survival techniques, that I actually hope I'll never need. But I've also come to realise how I've survived some of the stresses and situations I've already been in so far in my life.

October 2010
Bought in Waterstones, Sheffield

No comments:

Post a Comment