Tuesday 21 July 2009

Danny the Champion of the World - Roald Dahl

You won't be surprised to hear that this is not the first time I've read this book, I don't know how old I was when I first devoured the Roald Dahl books, but I'd reckon it was when I was about 9 or 10 years old.

I've always enjoyed reading, and therefore it was only natural that I'd read all of his books, Danny was first published in 1975, my copy is a Penguin edition and therefore published in 1977 - so it wasn't long afterwards that I came to it.

The story of a boy and his father, their simple life together in an old gypsy caravan, and their amazing adventure on the wrong side of the law!! Simple days when poaching was fun and everyone from the local doctor to the village bobby was in on the act!

Roald Dahl books are timeless, and although the story is simple - no sub-plots or even much back story - it's compelling and so well written that the book is difficult to put down (and that's when I already knew the story!). Danny and his father come up with a wonderful plan to get their own back on the local nasty landowner - and get some scrummy dinner at the same time!

I'd recommend this book to anyone, of any age. Great for children, but still wonderful for anyone who likes a nice simple engaging story.

The other nice thing is that something that I remember with such fondness from my childhood has completely stood the test of time, it's as good as I remember it being - and how often does that happen?

17th - 21st July 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment