Monday 5 January 2009

Knots and Crosses - Ian Rankin

With the success of reading the Mankell book, and whilst waiting for the next one to arrive from Green Metropolis, I decided to try another thriller.

Many people have suggested that I might like Rankin's books, I love Scotland, and Edinburgh is a city that has always fascinated me - especially the darker less touristy bits! So, again borrowed from my mother in law I decided on the first Inspector Rebus book.

I have to admit to not 'liking' Rebus as much as Wallander - perhaps it was a mistake to swop one detective for another so quickly, and it took me some time to get 'into' this book. About a third of the way through I was ready to give up, I didn't care about the characters, I could see what was going to happen, and I couldn't be bothered - there are so many other books to read!

However, it's a short book so I gave it more of a chance - and although I can't rant about how good it was, it was worth finishing - even if it did have a rather predictable anticlimatic ending.

Maybe I'll pick up another Rebus book, maybe Rankin gets better as he develops the character - but I was rather disappointed with this - it didn't live up to the hype for me.

Lent to me by Jo.
2nd - 5th January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment