Sunday 25 January 2009

Affluenza - Oliver James

I've been meaning to read this for a while, and now that I have I'm really impressed. Perhaps the fact that I don't think I suffer too badly from Affluenza helps! Affluenza, James suggests, is an epidemic sweeping the English speaking world. It consists of an obsession with 'keeping-up-with-the-Joneses', excessive consumerism (buying stuff because you 'want' it instead of because you 'need' it), the need for increased wealth (beyond what you need), property fever - all leading to depression, anxiety and addictions.

Travelling the world's affluent cities (London, New York, Singapore etc) James interviews people who do and don't suffer from Affluenza, and tries to discover what makes some people more or less prone to the virus. He then goes on to suggest remedies, such as paying parents to look after their children (instead of forcing them back to work), teaching the it is not necessary to be rich and beautiful to be happy and how being playful, vivacious and authentic helps.

As someone he interview suggests, society is becoming populated by Tin Men from the Wizard of Oz - hollow inside.

I would have liked to have seen more interviews with normal citizens, instead of the stream of millionaires that he visited; and I'm not sure the very vicious attack on the Blairite government was completely necessary - I'd imagine that most governments (of all flavours and in all times) would have mucked it up just as they did (and do).

A fascinating read, certainly made me think about materiality, and asking myself do I 'need' or 'want' that?

11th - 25th January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment