Tuesday 3 January 2012

Delirium - Lauren Oliver

What of love were a disease? If on your 18th birthday you underwent a procedure that took away the disease and then you were matched with another 'cured' for life. 

Would life be easier? Probably, but not as enjoyable - I truly believe that in order to appreciate the highs, the lows have to be there too. This book tells the story of Lena, a 17 year old who is months away from the 'procedure', her last summer of freedom before she is 'cured' and matched. I'm sure that this book is aimed at teenagers (the sleeve notes mention Twilight), but I've always liked dystopian novels (think Handmaids Tale or 1984), so that's why I picked it up. 

The story is engaging, and characters interesting and likeable. The writing is easy and non-taxing, but even then I got so involved with the story I found myself skim reading as I wanted to know what was going to happen next! Also, for the first time ever I actually found a passage that I thought was so beautiful I typed it out and posted it to my blog. 

I'm sure if the author wrote something for adults it would be stunningly written. Looking online, I understand this is the first of a trilogy (what a surprise, isn't everything a trilogy these days?!), and the next one is already on my wish list, and I'll probably be recommending it to a few friends. 

Bought on Green Metropolis
Mid December 2011 - 3rd January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment