Monday 6 June 2011

The True Deceiver - Tove Jansson

Tove Jansson is best known for her children's books about the Moonins, and I'd hazard a guess that most people would be surprised to learn that she wrote adult books.

I'm at a bit of a loss to describe this book; it appears to be about a woman and her brother's relationship with an older woman who is a children's book illustrator (it did cross my mind that it might be part biographical, but having finished it I think that's unlikely).

Like other Scandinavian novels I've read, and films I've seen, the author seems to feel no need to give her characters any depth, no history or back story.

I still don't understand (or really care if I'm honest) the motives for any of the things the characters do, or really what the book is about.

If I were to hazard a guess I'd say it's about truth, lies, deception and the gullibility of people.

I know that John enjoyed this book, but I'm not sure I'll be rushing to read another Tove Jansson book, having finished this I'm left feeling unsatisfied and with lots of unanswered questions.

Bought by John from Amazon.
21st May - 6th June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment