Wednesday 13 April 2011

One Day - David Nicholls

Em and Dex, Dex and Em meet on the day of their graduation, too late in their university career for a relationship and anyway they are so mismatched it's unlikely to have lasted.

The One Day of the title refers to the author's method of telling the story of a near 30 year friendship between Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew.  Each chapter tells of St Swithen's Day (July 15th), the anniversary of the day the couple met.

But to me this isn't a love story, it's a story of how life doesn't ever go as you planned.

Many parts of Emma's life really struck a cord with me, and at points her friendship with Dexter reminded me of my friendship with Nigel (although Nigel and I have never actually taken it further than friendship).

But the observations of a woman in her 30s with no husband, children or career really hit home! I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to.

Bought in Doncaster library for 10p!
April 7th - 13th 2011 (in Spain)

No comments:

Post a Comment