Monday 31 January 2011

Room - Emma Donoghue

The sleeve notes of this book include a quote from Audrey Niffenegger saying 'is a book to read in one sitting' - how right she is! I couldn't afford the time to read it in one sitting, but I did read it in two days, and found it very hard to put it down.

I guess the main thing that kept me hooked was the narrative, the story is told by Jack, a five year old who, with his mother is kept captive in Room. 'Ma' was abducted by 'Old Nick' as a teenager, and later gives birth to Jack.

All Jack knows is the world inside Room, but just after his fifth birthday 'Ma' admits that what he sees on the TV is real, and that they have to escape.

I couldn't stop reading, the early part of the book deals with Jack's descriptions of life in Room, followed by their escape and subsequent re-establishment into society.

If I have one criticism it is that the escape was too easy, and fast; but that does not detract from the novel or my enjoyment. The fact that its loosely based on the Josef Fritzl case in Austria, meant little to me as I didn't follow the case, but having now read about it on the web I can see the similarities.

This book is compelling, read it.

January 2011
Bought in Waterstones.

No comments:

Post a Comment