Tuesday 17 March 2009

Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

The Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

I know that this book if supposed to be the one that defines the genre but I have to admit to not being as impressed with it as I had hoped. Certainly I don't think it lives up to the hype.

I bought the book a couple of years ago as I really like graphic novels and had heard so much about this one. But therein lies the problem perhaps?

Having loved 'From Hell' and 'League of extrodinary gentlemen' by Alan Moore, and very much enjoyed 'Maus', perhaps I've left it too later in my graphic novel reading to go back to the one that started it all?

I can't begin to explain the multiple storylines, but the basic story involves a bunch of retired masked crime fighters slowly being killed off, and the race to discover who is behind it. Obviously that is a terrible over simplication and the story also covers nuclear accidents, shipwrecks, millionaire geniuses and hairbrained plans to end all wars.

Anyway, if you enjoy graphic novels and haven't yet read this one, you must.

Now I've done so I feel I can go and see the film version.


Bought on Green Metropolis (some time ago!)
13-17th March

No comments:

Post a Comment